When did La Ionica introduce Air Chilling to Australia?
La Ionica introduced the “Air Chilling” method to Australia in 1990.
Why did La Ionica introduce Air Chilling to Australia?
- A result of extensive research and the quest for quality and healthier chicken La Ionica introduced air chilling as an alternative to water chilling.
- Air Chilling removes the need for water during the cooling process.
- The Air Chilling process ensures that all La Ionica chickens are processed without the addition of chemicals.
What processing methods are used in Australia?
- There are two main methods for cooling chickens in Australia, air and water.
- In simple terms air chilling uses air for cooling and water chilling uses water for cooling
What is Air Chilling?
- Air chilling is the process used to lower chickens body temperature during processing
- Chickens are individually placed into high-tech chambers where cold air lowers their body temperature before they are packaged for market.
- The Air Chilling process uses compressed air for cooling rather than chilled water.
What are the benefits of Air Chilling?
While both air chilling and water chilling are effective, air chilling comes with a range of benefits:
- Taste: Air chilled chicken is processed with air so you get a natural chicken taste, appearance and tenderness. Water chilling dilutes the flavour as water is absorbed and retained during the process.
- Cooking: Because Air Chilled chicken doesn’t absorb excess water, it cooks quicker than its water chilled counterpart. Air Chilled cooks quicker retains its natural tenderness and sizzles, as there is no added or retained water.
- Value: Air Chilled chicken is better value as you pay by weight. So with La Ionica Air Chilled chicken you get what you pay for, 100% chicken.
- Environmental benefits: Air chilling uses significantly less water and removes the need to use soaker pads, which end up in landfill.